ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Server Platform Upgrade

2008-12-04 14:00:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Server Platform Upgrade
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:58:55 -0700
If I were going to be in the x86 family, I would move into the larger platforms
with more processors and more PCI-E slots.  So the HP DL580 I think would be
your best bet.  That will reduce the 5x cost benefit somewhat but provide you
with more flexibility.  Consider the IBM x3850 M2 server.  These are great
boxes and IBM will continue to love and support you.  And perhaps a bit cheaper
than HP.  Similar to my comment about Windows vs. Unix below, if you have a ton
of HP stuff in your site now, go with HP.

Linux or Windows then.  Hmmm.  I'm not a Linux guy so I would choose windows.
If most of your clients are windows and most of your internal IT knowledge is
Windows, stay Windows.  If you have the Linux expertise, then use that.  Won't
make much difference to TSM (I know, I know, Windows for I/O sucks and all
that, which BTW is contrary to what I know and believe...).

You can probably buy two x86 and split the load and still save money over the
mongo AIX box.  I'd rather do that.

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.