ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Journal unsync?

2008-12-04 04:24:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] Journal unsync?
From: Christian Svensson <Christian.Svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:18:07 +0100
What's up all *SMers.
It is close to x-mas and I hope you have been a good person so you got any
presents this year also. :)

>From one thing to another.
I have a small question for you all.
The scenario is like this.

Day 1:
I have over 400 Windows nodes that run daily backups to our TSM Server.
We do also run TSM BA Client Journal on all our backups.

Days 2:
During the backup window and we say that maybe 50% of all our backups have run
successfully and the other half is maybe in progress or are waiting for their
time slot. But middle of the backup windows does my SAN go down and all my
backups stops that mean 50% has run OK and 50% hasn't.
Now when I try to start my TSM Server it shows up that my log files are corrupt
and I need to do a TSM Database Recovery and my latest TSM DB Backup is from
Day 1.

Now to my question.
Now is my database from Day 1 that mean I lose the 50% successfully backups and
that is not a problem. But what happened with the Journal on does 50% servers?
Because the Journal thinks the backup have been done on the file but the
database don't think that.
My questions is. Will the Journal resync it's database with TSM Server or will
it still believe that the files are backed up and I need to delete the Journal
Database and run a resync?
Can anyone explain for me how it communicate with the TSM Server Database?

Best Regards
Christian Svensson

Cell: +46-70-325 1577
E-mail: Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se
Skype: cristie.christian.svensson