ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Encryption in TSM ??

2008-12-03 10:52:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Encryption in TSM ??
From: Chris Koster <chris.koster AT MARKIIISYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:39:12 -0600
Well, TSM does support encryption and works well as its own key manager.
However, this does not encrypt the TSM database. For this, you will need
an external key manager to encrypt database tapes. Of course, this
starts the whole discussion of then how do you backup the key manager
that's encrypting the backup server. So do you setup a 2nd backup
instance to backup the key manager which is encrypting the backups? And
so on and so on ...

If you want my advice, let TSM encrypt all your storage pool volumes and
send off the TSM database unencrypted via 2nd pickup with courier of
your choice. For the ultra-secure-sensitive type, select a second
courier service all together solely for database tapes.

- Chris