ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why would I need an auditdb?

2008-11-28 17:46:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why would I need an auditdb?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:44:38 +0100
On Nov 28, 2008, at 23:29 , steve sorenson wrote:

Still considering the whole "NBU or TSM" question...

I've read in the archives of this mailing list about a "DSMSERV
AUDITDB." I
understand that it's something that would be directed by support,
but it

true. And if they do, make sure it's level 2 or level 3 support and
they have real good arguments about why you should.

looks like it would take a really long time if I do run it.

depending on:
- cpu power
- database disk performance (I still like to test an audit db on ssd)

Why would support ever tell me to run it?

because your TSM database is corrupted to the level that there is no
other way out but to shut down shop for a week and audit.

Is this something that most TSM customers end up running?

nope. Well, some customers have databases that date back to adsm
version 2.1, being abused by very very weak server code (4.x) that
corrupted the database very badly. In recent levels audits are
becoming more rare, because IBM did a good job in improving the DB
code. So if you installed tsm fresh with version 5.2 of newer, well,
you'll probably never type an audit command on that db until you
upgrade to 6.1...

Thanks for any help, and happy thanksgiving if you're in the US!

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl