ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Strange occupancy figures

2008-11-28 09:58:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Strange occupancy figures
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:57:25 +0100
Eric,

On 28 nov 2008, at 15:28, Loon, EJ van - SPLXM wrote:

Hi TSM-ers!
If I issue the command q occ KL10FE1F TSM returns the following
occupancy for filespace /var:

<snip>

This node is backed up daily (1 time per day), incremental only and
data
is kept for 7 days.
Let's assume 100% of the data in /var changes daily, the maximum
amount
of data in TSM should be 7 * 2 Gb. (size of /var) = 14 Gb.
So why does TSM say that 1 Tb. of data is stored for /var?

1- I assume expiration is running ;-)
2- /var on redhat contains sparse files, so for instance /var/log/wtmp
might be only a few mb on disk, but have a file size that is much
larger. In some cases some versions of the TSM client don't recognize
the file as sparse and backup the whole thing. So this might very well
be the case (you didn't tell us anything about client OS, client
version etc).

The problem is I don't know how to check this. The TSM database table
BACKUPS contains the filename of the backed up files, while the size
is
kept in the OBJECT table if I'm correct.
Thank you very much for any reply in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

<snip> ;-)