ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IBM 3200 Tape Library SAS adapters

2008-11-20 12:59:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IBM 3200 Tape Library SAS adapters
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:57:53 -0700
SAS is very different from SCSI so all bets are off when comparing the two.  An
x4 4 lane SAS adapter will support 4 SAS drives.  You will need an interposer
plugged into the SAS card which splits the four lanes onto four cables.  Then
plug each drives cable into the interposer and you are completely fanned out.
One lane per drive (each lane is 3Gb/sec transfer rate, well fast enough for
one LTO4 tape drive).

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.