ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lots of "Wait" on the CPU

2008-11-20 12:13:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lots of "Wait" on the CPU
From: Bob Booth <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:12:33 -0600
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 09:24:49AM -0600, Howard Coles wrote:
> Ladies and Gents, of those of you who run AIX I have a question:
>
> What would cause the wait of the CPU to constantly be this high? (or
>
> what are some of the things)  My Disk is barely busy, the NIC which is
>
> etherchanneled in failover mode, doesn't appear peaked out, so I'm
>
> looking for some ideas.  Below is a snapshot of the topas screen:

Are you doing any tape I/O on this box?  Tape drives don't show up in
I/O stats, so if you have slow tape, that may be causing your 'wait'.

Just a guess.

Also, you may want to grab 'nmon' for AIX 5.3.  It is another nice real time
tool that has better formatting, allows for externalized output, and more
stats.

hth,

bob