ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SUN CMT servers vs UltraSPARC for TSM

2008-11-19 10:09:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SUN CMT servers vs UltraSPARC for TSM
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:08:35 +0100
On 19 nov 2008, at 15:54, Hans Christian Riksheim wrote:

Hello, list.

We are speculating whether we should employ the latest CMT-server from
SUN as TSM-servers. The CMT-servers are many cores/many threads but
each
thread is relatively slow(1,2/1,4 GHz) compared to Ultra
Sparc(2,3Ghz).

My question is if TSM benefits from many threads or if we should go
for
single thread performance. I guess expiration is a single thread
process
but that depends mainly on IO. Maybe many simultanious client
operations
would benefit from many threads. How about TSM version 6?

Current TSM server releases are heavily multithreaded, so more cpu
cores are quite useful, but keep in mind that TSM is about I/O more
than about CPU, so your main concern when selecting hardware should be
the I/O bandwidth. How many PCI buses does your system have, do they
share logic? In case of PCIe, things usually get a lot hazier... how
much bandwidth do the PCIe controllers have each to your memory etc....

I really don't know here.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Hans Chr.

This email originates from Steria AS, Biskop Gunnerus' gate 14a,
N-0051 OSLO, http://www.steria.no. This email and any attachments
may contain confidential/intellectual property/copyright information
and is only for the use of the addressee(s). You are prohibited from
copying, forwarding, disclosing, saving or otherwise using it in any
way if you are not the addressee(s) or responsible for delivery. If
you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender and
cancel it immediately. Steria may monitor the content of emails
within its network to ensure compliance with its policies and
procedures. Any email is susceptible to alteration and its integrity
cannot be assured. Steria shall not be liable if the message is
altered, modified, falsified, or even edited.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post, PLCS
+31624821622