ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives

2008-11-07 14:36:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 14:34:53 -0500
>> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:54:10 -0500, Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT
>> JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG> said:

> I am aware of four options for extending FCP tape drive connections
> over distances in this range: FCP over dedicated fibre, FCP over
> shared fibre with wave division multiplexing, iFCP, and FCIP. I
> gather that there are TSM sites with remote tape drives. Does their
> experience offer strong reasons to favor or avoid particular
> options?

Just use the network; remote virtual volumes can be as efficient, with
less complexity.  I have gotten up to 60MB/s 350 miles away.

Make the pipe big enough, and make your TCP buffers big enough, and
you'll do fine.

That means you don't have to arrange for anything but a fat pipe when
the meteor hits one of your centers in the future.

- Allen S. Rout