ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating servers

2008-11-06 17:53:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating servers
From: "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT PROVIDENCE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:51:54 -0800
Get out an envelope and a piece of paper. On the envelope write: "To my
successor: When you consider migrating your TSM server to a different
platform, open this envelope."

Write everything up to this point including this sentence on the piece
of paper. Put the paper in the envelope and put it in the top drawer of
your desk.

***

On a more serious note, I talked to a person moving a TSM server from
AIX to HP-UX but couldn't find any citation supporting or un-supporting
the practice.

She did do some testing to make sure one system could read the other's
private tapes. This would seem to be one of the big hurdles.

The urban legend is that such a thing is not possible. I suspect the
legend is true.

[RC]