ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating servers

2008-11-06 17:07:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating servers
From: "Evans, Bill" <bevans AT FHCRC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:06:08 -0800
I figured as much, export/import is not blazingly fast, so, 2020 is
probably a pretty good estimate.

Why?  IBM charges about 3 times more in maintenance costs than SUN  (at
similar performance points)

Thanks for the insights.

Bill

On 6 nov 2008, at 22:04, Evans, Bill wrote:

> Hello,
>
> TSM Server 5.5.0.3 running on AIX 5.3 ML6, clients are a mixed lot as
> usual.
>
> We are going to migrate this to a SUN Solaris Server, Solaris 5.10.

why? probably too late, but really, stick with AIX. I'd say this is
one of the least used platforms for TSM and probably less stable than
even windows ;-) You must have very strong reasons to go to solaris,
because you are in for a huge amount of work. Going to another
platform is not easy, nor is it quick.

> Primary client is solaris, ~80TB active data, ~300TB of inactive/
> archive
> data.

export/import is the only way (or just starting over with an empty
database). Good luck, speak to you in 2020 or so when you're done (or
gave up) ;-) server to server exports are only possible if the target
server is at at least the same level as the source.

> Can anyone point me to a Redbook or the section in the Admin Guide to
> help me understand what I am going to have to do?  So far, the Admin
> Guide explains migrating, but, only to another system with the same
> O/S.

look over here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.its
maixn.doc/anragd55681.htm#exim