ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite reclamation problem

2008-11-04 13:36:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite reclamation problem
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:34:37 -0600
All,

I have often heard people say, as Linday just did, "keep at least one
drive free for user restores".  Is there in fact any way to cause TSM to
leave one tape drive always free, so no other tape process besides a
restore can access it?

In our environment, we have 10 TSM servers sharing a tape library with
24 LTO4 tape drives.  Each day they all have to accomplish the entire
daily cycle of backup stgpools, db backups, migrations, reclamations,
etc. and these are driven by perl scripts on each of the 10 instances.
I cannot think of any reasonable way for all of these to get their jobs
done as quickly as possible, but somehow remain sensitive to what all
the other instances need to do so that they won't use all the tape
drives available.  We use most of the 24 tape drives most of the time as
it is.

I can think of some extremely inefficient ways, like making all the
backup storage pools wait until all of them are finished, then everybody
goes on to the next step, etc.  But this will inevitably cause long
delays where half the tape drives are sitting idle waiting for one or
two slow instances to finish before going on to the next step.  We can't
afford that sort of waste in the schedule.

Is there some feature to do this that I missed?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Phone: 314-364-3150
Cell: 314-750-8721