ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup order

2008-10-14 13:00:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup order
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:59:38 +0200
On 14 okt 2008, at 18:19, Howard Coles wrote:

Really?  That's odd because from my experience I've never found tape
tape as fast as disk to tape.  I guess it depends on a lot of factors,
but generally speaking I've gotten better speeds going from disk,
mainly
because read times are faster from disk (especially properly
configured
local disk).

well, current tape-devices do about 120-200 MB/s, you'll really have
to push a disk to do that, so as long as you can keep your tapes
streaming....

As for disk, I might see an advantage in collocated pools, since those
will require a lot of load/unload actions from tape, but generally,
you'll find that you're doing more than one task on a single disk at
any time and keeping the disk in sequential-read or write mode is very
hard.... (seagate quotes their cheetah's as going up to 125 MB/s, a
bit less than an enterprise tape drive).

See Ya'
Howard