ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NBU user considering switch to TSM

2008-10-01 15:47:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NBU user considering switch to TSM
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:45:55 -0500
See below.

See Ya'
Howard

Sorry, but if you check your primary tape pools' properties you'll find
you are incorrect (unless the option doesn't even show up in a straight
up 5.5 environment).  This option is set at the Storage Pool level, not
the Policy Domain.

In a primary tape pool's definition you find the "Simultaneous Write"
tab.  The description in that tab says:
Simultaneous Write
During client node or import operations, data can be written to the
primary storage pool and any combination of copy storage pools and
active-data pools. To protect inactive data, specify at least one copy
storage pool.

However, it does appear that this feature isn't present in 5.5, or I'm
overlooking it badly.  It was up until 5.4, which is why I see the
option I suppose (I also have a 5.3.5 server).  And it does work for
copying into active data pools even in 5.5, or so it appears.  Hmmm. . .
gotta dig into this.  I never used it before, except in one occasion
where the client's users were very paranoid.  :-D

Note:  I'm using TSM 5.5.1 & 5.3.5 & 5.2.8 (older hp-ux box about to be
replaced)

> the
> > >
> > > But the contents of the backup set aren't in the TSM database,
> right?
> > > Isn't that the point of the backup set, to make an archive of a
> bunch of
> > > files that aren't tracked in the database, and that can be read
> outside of
> > > TSM?  So if the contents of the backup set aren't in the database,
> how
> > could
> > > you do restores the same way as you do with regular backups?
> >
> >Well, partially.  The purpose of a backup set is to make a client's
> >backups portable.  You are correct in that the contents of the Backup
> >Set are not in the database (because they were intended to be removed
> >from TSM and handed off to a client).  However, you will need the TSM
> >client, preferably the version that did the backup or newer, to
import
> >the backup set at the client, and hardware to read the tape/media
used
> >to create the backup set.
>
> This is not the only reason to use backup sets.  You do not need
> hardware
> on the client to read the media, unless the point of the backupset is
> have portable media.  You can reference the backupset directly from
the
> server.  Some folks use backupsets to take snapshots of their current
> backups, without having to re-send the data from the client again.

Sorry, I was thinking of the original purpose.  Yes, you can leave the
backup set in the library and mount it up for the client at the server
side.