ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] usage of collocatebyfilespec + resourceutilization ?

2008-09-24 05:04:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] usage of collocatebyfilespec + resourceutilization ?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:03:03 +0200
Hi,
we have tsm5.5.1 / solaris + 3494/4*J1A+4*E05

I have a question with our general ClientOption-Set defined to all Clients.
We have around 600 Clients and backups  are running
into file-Pools  and then migrating onto tapes.

The only 2 option we currently distribute via client-OptionSet are
compressalways no
dirmc directory

To make the restores faster it seems to be okay, generally using the
'resourceutilization  3'  - to enable the client reading vom 3
tapes at one time.
To have this feature just 'available' I would like to move this option
resourceutilization  3
into the default Clientoption set.
The problem now is : we are using groupcollocation and the resourceutilizaion
also effects the backup and it is not necessary to have the client backups
running
parallel and opening more than one file(20GB) in the primary filepool.
This may also lead to splitting data on more tapes and may be a waste on
file-volumes

The Option
collocatebyfilespec yes
seems to do what I want regarding backup.

The question is
If a client has 3 filespaces and the backup is running with
the options ...
'resourceutilization  3'
!collocatebyfilespec yes'
... will a backup run with 1 or 3 sessions ?

Are you spreading the 'resorceutilization' vie the Client Optionset ?

tanks for any hints
Rainer

Rainer Wolf                          eMail:       rainer.wolf AT uni-ulm DOT de
kiz - Abt. Infrastruktur           Tel/Fax:      ++49 731 50-22482/22471
Universitaet Ulm                     wwweb:        http://kiz.uni-ulm.de