ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Volume size on sequential disk storage pools

2008-09-18 04:16:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Volume size on sequential disk storage pools
From: Michael Glad <glad AT DAIMI.AU DOT DK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:14:54 +0200
Hello TSM'ers, are there any recommendations/experiences concerning volume size/
maximum number of volumes on sequential disk storage pools?

On our largest TSM server, we currently have a 27T pool consisting of 10G
volumes => some 2700 volumes. I chose the 10 gig size a couple of years ago
after reading an IBM paper.

Although there currently doesn't seem to be any major performance
problems, I wonder if there's a limit to the number of volumes after
which TSM may get into troubles.

So I would be glad to learn what volume size / number of volumes other
TSM sites using sequential disk volumes use.

        -- Michael