ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database size?

2008-08-29 09:32:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database size?
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:27:53 -0500
To clarify, the recommended size of your Database will depend on the
number of clients, amount of data, and the key figure is the Buffer Pool
Cache hit percentage.  It should be around 99% or higher.  Unless you
are, like me, doing a lot of data volume moves from old offsite tapes.

The best measure is, "Are my admin processes finishing each day?"
If Backup Storage Pools, DB Backups (and snapshots if you do them),
reclamation, migration, and expiration are all finishing at a decent
time you're ok.

If not you either need a larger server, or a second server and which you
choose is really up to you.

However as Ankur said below, the max is 530 GB so you have plenty of
room.  I would generally try to keep dbs below 190 GB because of the
above mentioned problems.  Usually if a DB gets that big it means you're
moving a lot of data, or a lot of small files.  (as in one of our
locations were we had 100's of millions of them)  Then you'll start
having trouble getting your admin processes to finish each day.  But,
again, this all depends on the size of your hardware.  We have a new
server here, and I think I could double the size of the db before it
started straining. :-D  (72 GB)

Hope This helps.

See Ya'
Howard