ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] select and script

2008-08-26 11:42:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] select and script
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:26:34 -0400
TSM macros and scripts are rather primitive, where doing much more
than issuing commands and reacting to return codes is clumsy at best.

The TSM goal of site-issued messages usually attempts to deal with
exceptional events.  Rather than try to rig some kind of periodic
script checking the database level, I would attempt to accomplish the
task using provided facilities.

The first one I would consider would be TSM server Event Logging,
which is the best intended facility for the task.  You could employ a
FILETEXTEXIT writing to a FIFO which is read by a perl program, as a
simple expedient, or write a C program for a USEREXIT type of
implementation.

More advanced is the SNMP facility, where you could perform SNMPTRAPs
to convey event info to a central monitoring facility (often a
commercial product), where such a monitoring instance usually provides
a gamut of organizational information distributing, alerting,
tracking, and historical reporting.

  Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs