ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Recalling drmedia volumes to restore a damaged volume.

2008-08-20 09:45:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Recalling drmedia volumes to restore a damaged volume.
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:44:21 -0400
Correct, recalling specific offsite tapes for a restore would not be done
with "move drmedia"

Move drmedia follows a normal "lifecycle".  Recalling a tape for a restore
is an interrupt in that cycle, so it needs to be handled manually by using
"upd vol $VOL acc=readonly". Running this command puts the tape back into
a drm "mountable" state and will be checked out again (and put back into
the cycle) the next time move drmedia is run to eject tapes for offsite.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
larry.mcnutt AT TIMKEN DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
08/20/2008 09:35 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Recalling drmedia volumes to restore a damaged volume.

Thanks for the replies Howard and Steve.

I guess I am looking for a confirmation that recalling specific offsite
copypool tapes is not handled by using "move drmedia" commands.  It
won't let me "move drmedia volnnn wherestate=vault
tostate=vaultretrieve", or "move drmedia volnnn
tostate=courierretrieve".  So, it looks like I must manually edit the
vaultretrieve report and add the volume(s) needed and edit the vault
inventory report to remove the volumes.  After the tapes arrive, follow
the steps to restore the volume and send the copypool tapes back to the
vault.