ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration

2008-08-17 08:18:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 01:11:07 -0500
.
There's an easier way to get the node number. It's explained very well
at http://www.lascon.co.uk/d005303.htm so I won't repeat it here. Just
beware that the result of this process of starting at NODE 38 will be a
number in hex. You must convert it to decimal for use on the
undocumented args to the EXPIRE INVENTORY command.

I do this all the time, if I know there's some client node that has a
bunch of tapes tied up that could be freed for reclamation by starting
expiration with that node. Works great, especially if you're digging out
of one of those awful expiration mudpits where you run out of scratch
tapes and your database is bloated. (Why does this happen when I go on
vacation?)

OTOH, to skip a node, you could control expiration with a TSM Script
that contains two EXPIRE INVENTORY commands. For instance, if you figure
out that you want to skip node 42 (decimal) you could put these in your
script:

  expire inventory beginnode=1 endnode=41
  commit                    (not sure it's needed but it can't hurt)
  expire inventory beginnode=43 endnode=999999

One caveat I discovered the hard way is, you cannot start this script
manually from a dsmadmc session. You must start it via an admin
schedule. The reason is just like the unix nohup command. If you do run
it manually, then you must keep that dsmadmc session logged in until the
script finishes, or else it will stop when you do. What will happen is
that the first EXPIRE INVENTORY command will run to completion, but the
second one will not start. RUNning it via a 1-time admin schedule solves
that problem. (To make an admin schedule run only once, add the
EXPIRE=TODAY option.)

Just beware that as somebody else pointed out, skipping expiration
probably will not accomplish what you want. Instead you need to assign
that node to a different policy domain where things are kept forever.
I keep one of those handy for cases of e-discovery.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't ...