ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Q INCLEXCL and "Operating System"

2008-08-08 11:42:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Q INCLEXCL and "Operating System"
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:41:19 -0400
I opened a PMR about this and the response was to disable the VSS service
and run the Q INCLEXCL again. Sure enough the excludes were gone. Apparently
VSS has input to what's included/excluded. I'm now trying to find out why
and how I can tell VSS to butt out!

The TSM tech also said that if I put the includes in a server side CLOPTSET
it would override the VSS exclude. I'm testing that now.

Here's the relevant portion of my PMR response:

The client usually gets the objects to exclude from either the
'filesnottobackup' section in the registry or from system writers (VSS in
this case). To determine whether or not the excludes are coming from VSS,
perform the following:

1. Close any client sessions
2. disable the VSS service
3. open a new dsmc session and run Q INCLEXCL

If said excludes are no longer showing up, then we've demonstrated that the
exclude is coming from VSS. However, in any case, you can override the
excludes by creating a client option set on the TSM Server that includes the
desired files/directories, and then associate the node with said client
option set.

Bill