ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!

2008-08-07 23:32:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Tivoli Licensing Free Metric tool!
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:31:43 -0400
It's not just counting cpu's, which isn’t hard via WMI or registry scripting.
The trick is finding out if multi-cores are being used (different pvu units
than single), and if logical procs (e.g. hyperthreading) are included.

You cant even get this info from WMI without a non-public hotfix from M$
applied to all of your windows servers (and one of the files replaced is
ntoskrnl - how good do you feel about rolling that out?).

Intel has a downloadable program called cpucount.exe if you have all intel
procs, but even that tool doesn’t play well with mass remote scripting without
some recoding and compiling, which isn’t very useful for us non-C++ programmer
types.  (if someone does get this to work by yanking out the need to hit
"return" at the end of the program, please share).

But who knows?  Maybe Tivoli will pull the rabbit out of the hat and build it
into v6 somehow.

Until then, the SWAGging will continue...

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, Windows
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee