ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Change retention policy on specific volumes

2008-07-31 15:46:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Change retention policy on specific volumes
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:46:44 -0500
Since data retention is at the data item level, you need to go back to that
to extend set things to "no limit".

I had to freeze some past data (only... no future data) so I renamed the
nodes to <existingname>_xxx    (where your xxx can be something like
"frozen")
Build a domain such as outlined below... move your nodes that require their
data be frozen into that domain... then reregister the initial node name
again under their normal domain.
Since their existing management class won't really exist in this new domain,
it will all fall under the retention grace period.
To get that frozen data shifted around you can either:
1) use move nodedata to isolate it into a newly created storage pool
2) simply export the blah_xxx nodes (the unlimited domain gives you time to
perform the export without the required data expiring)
This all allows the node(s) to return to normal nightly processing while you
deal with the frozen data.

tsm: TSMSRV1>q domain unlimited f=d

              Policy Domain Name: UNLIMITED
            Activated Policy Set: STANDARD
            Activation Date/Time: 04/30/2005 12:29:12
           Days Since Activation: 1,188
    Activated Default Mgmt Class: UNLIMITED
      Number of Registered Nodes: 0
 Backup Retention (Grace Period): 9,999
Archive Retention (Grace Period): 30,000
  Last Update by (administrator): xxxxx
           Last Update Date/Time: 04/30/2005 12:29:12
                Managing profile:
                 Changes Pending: No
           Active Data Pool List:

tsm: TSMSRV1>q copy unlimited

Policy        Policy        Mgmt          Copy          Versions
Versions       Retain      Retain
Domain        Set Name      Class         Group             Data
Data        Extra        Only
Name                        Name          Name            Exists
Deleted     Versions     Version
---------     ---------     ---------     ---------     --------
--------     --------     -------
UNLIMITED     ACTIVE        UNLIMITED     STANDARD      No Limit     No
Limit     No Limit     No Lim-

it
UNLIMITED     STANDARD      UNLIMITED     STANDARD      No Limit     No
Limit     No Limit     No Lim-

it

tsm: TSMSRV1>q copy unlimited  t=a

Policy        Policy        Mgmt          Copy            Retain
Domain        Set Name      Class         Group          Version
Name                        Name          Name
UNLIMITED     ACTIVE        UNLIMITED     STANDARD      No Limit
UNLIMITED     STANDARD      UNLIMITED     STANDARD      No Limit

tsm: TSMSRV1>