ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New TSM Layout

2008-07-31 10:30:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New TSM Layout
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:28:48 -0500
I would highly recommend dividing that into two pools.  This gives you
more flexibility in number of reclamation, migration, and backup
processes that can be run.  The backup and migration can be run
concurrently in newer versions of TSM, however you can only run 1
reclamation process at a time.  If you split up your data into two sets
of primary and copy pools you can run 2 reclamation processes instead of
just 1.  Also migration and backup processes go much faster on smaller
pools.  (or at least SEEM to :-D ).

However, that would depend on how many tape drives you have to take
advantage of.

As for partitions, I'm assuming you mean disk volumes.  I would go with
smaller volumes and more of them.  20 - 60 GB is a good range for a
storage pool volume.  You CAN go bigger (100 GB +), I have, but it's
harder on the OS, and so slows things down a bit.

I have no hard numbers to prove my point, just general observations
across the years.  I also have only run TSM on AIX, and Linux, so YMMV
on Windows.

See Ya'
Howard