ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape question.

2008-07-17 11:39:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape question.
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:37:25 -0400
LTO4 are 800GB Native capacity.  If you are writing compressed data on
them, that is all you are going to get.

The "compressed" capacity number that is offered is only marketing.  That
is just the number you might get if your data compresses at a 2:1 ratio.
Some people's data get better or worse than that.  It doesn't actually
mean anything.

>From what I understand, the tape capacity only goes to Full when it
physically reaches the end of the tape.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew
Data Protection Engineer
Core IT Production
BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.
Office:   201.850.6998
Mobile: 917.774.8141

Internet
dhensley AT MCNEILUSCO DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/17/2008 11:07 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Tape question.

I have LTO4 tapes with LTO3 barcodes on each tape. When the tapes are
checked in as scratch TSM sees the size of 1.5gb. When used they go to
full
status with around 800gb on each tape. Compression is turned on. I believe
this is due to the LTO3 barcodes, since LTO3 compressed tapes are 800gb. I
need to know if this is the case that TSM is seeing these as LTO3s instead
of LTO4s. If someone could point me to some documentation I would
appreciate it. I have tried telling this to my management and they do not
believe this is so. Thank you.

Dave Hensley
Technical Analyst
McNeilus Companies, Inc.
Desk: 1-507-374-8587
Cell: 1-507-244-0921

Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus or other defect which might affect any computer system, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to check that it is virus-free and the
sender accepts no responsibility or liability for any loss, injury,
damage, cost or expense arising in any way from receipt or use thereof by
the recipient.

The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential
information and intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above, and may be privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please  contact the sender
immediately, delete this material from your computer and destroy all
related paper media.  Please note that the documents transmitted are not
intended to be binding until a hard copy has been manually signed by all
parties.
Thank you.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.