ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating TSM on AIX to Linux

2008-07-10 16:41:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating TSM on AIX to Linux
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:40:13 -0500
Greetings,
        One common way to migrate between different server types is to:

1) Install and configure your new TSM server
2) Create at least one administrator account that has the same name on
both the old and new TSM server
2) Using that account, establish TSM server-to-server communications
between the old an new TSM servers
3) Use a combination of "export server", "export admin", "export
policy", and "export node" to port the configuration of the old server
to the new server.  Using "export node XXXX filedata=all
toserver=newserver" allows you to copy the data from your old TSM
server's clients to your new TSM server across the LAN.  Read the help,
to understand the other options.

You didn't say if the Linux server would be using the same tape library
or have it's own.  If it has to use the same one, you could make the old
TSM server the library master, and the new TSM server the library
client.  Then the new TSM server would have it's own storage pools, and
the "export node" commands would transfer data from the old storage pool
to tapes (or disk) in the new storage pools.  When eventually you have
migrated everything over and are ready to retire the old server, you
reconfigure the tape library so that the new TSM server is now the
master, and the old TSM server is not used anymore.  If you need more
help with the detailed step-by-step, I can help you with that.  Email me
or call me offline if you want.

If you have lots of TSM clients this could take considerable time.  We
did this last year, and we had about 80TB of data to migrate, and it
took several weeks to do it.

Having said that, what is the purpose of going to Linux?  Is it just a
matter of the cost of the server, because the Linux server will be much
cheaper?  If your time is worth anything, you may find it costs quite a
bit in terms of your time to do the steps outlined above.  And unless
you already have a lot of expertise with tape device configuration,
Linux is frequently more trouble to get working than AIX.

Moving an AIX TSM infrastructure to another AIX server can usually be
done in 1-2 days of time, once the hardware is in place, and you have
people with the right experience doing it.

Best of luck to you,

John D. Schneider
Cell: 314-486-2359
Email:  John.Schneider AT Mercy DOT net