ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Disk pools on EMC issue

2008-06-30 09:09:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Disk pools on EMC issue
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:07:48 -0400
I think we need some more info.

We use EMC storage (DMX and Clariion) for all our TSM disk based
storage (db, log, disk storage pools, file device pools).  It just works -
really well.

Is your storage online and available before you start TSM?
Are you using filesystems or logical volumes?
Are you using PowerPath, or some other mpio driver?
What OS are you using for for your TSM server (we use AIX)?

Rick

             Jacques Van Den
             Berg
             <jvandenberg@PNP.                                          To
             CO.ZA>                    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         TSM Disk pools on EMC issue
             .EDU>

             06/30/2008 08:47
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hello,

I have an interesting issue where when trying to startup TSM, the EMC
storage path's change status to dead.

Environment:

TSM sever using purely for IBM Commonstore for SAP archiving.

TSM database & log files on EMC Clarion Storage - mirrored across LUN'
on EMC.

2TB of disk pools spread across 4 X 500GB LUN's on EMC storage.

My question: Is there a way a can tell TSM not to "VARY-ON" my disk pool
volumes during startup so that I can vary-on them manually once TSM is
up? I think that TSM is trying so hard to vary-on these volumes that the
EMC path timeout.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Regards,

Jacques van den Berg
TSM / Storage / SAP Basis Administrator
Pick 'n Pay IT
Email   : jvandenberg AT pnp.co DOT za <mailto:jvandenberg AT pnp.co DOT za>
Tel      : +2721 - 658 1711
Fax     : +2721 - 658 1676
Mobile  : +2782 - 653 8164

Dis altyd lente in die hart van die mens wat God
en sy medemens liefhet (John Vianney).

Read our disclaimer at: http://www.picknpay.co.za/pnp/view/pnp/en/page5093?

If you don't have web access, the disclaimer can be mailed to you on
request.
Disclaimer requests to be sent to it-security AT pnp.co DOT za

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.