ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restore performance puzzler

2008-06-25 18:30:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restore performance puzzler
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:28:59 -0400
yep, I did consider these things, but I double checked:
- 100/Full
- The files were compressed when they were backed up, The client is not
being taxed decompressing the data stream at all (currently 89% idle)
- we started with one thread, but are up to 4 now.  Each one is performing
pretty pathetically
- Data are big files (6x2gB files)
- Yes, pinging works, FTP speed between the client and server is fine.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew
Data Protection Engineer
Core IT Production
BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.
Office:   201.850.6998
Mobile: 917.774.8141

Internet
Ricardo.Ribeiro AT SCHWAB DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
06/25/2008 05:55 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Restore performance puzzler

Shawn,
Based on this information it appears that the VTL is only attached to
the TSM server correct? So, the data to the client is not going to be as
fast as restoring to the TSM server. Things to consider are...
What is the LAN speed and duplex settings for the client?
How is the LAN traffic when you are trying to restore?
Is compression enabled on the TSM client side?
How many channels/threads/mount points are you allowing the client to
use?
What type of data are you restoring, compress, database data, etc?
Can you ping the TSM server from the client?
Can you ping the Client from the TSM server?

Anyway, I hope this helps!