ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: LTO Tape Life

2008-06-19 17:36:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: LTO Tape Life
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:35:11 -0500
Greetings,
        I thought of this same approach, but it doesn't really address
the issue at all.  The times_mounted gets reset to 0 whenever the tape
goes back to scratch.  So times_mounted doesn't track the entire
multi-year history of a tape. I just went and looked at some of our
tapes that are three years old, and the last time they were written to
was a few days ago, and the times_mounted is 2.  According to that
query, that tape looks almost brand new, but I know for a fact we have
been reusing them for three years.
        In our situation it makes even less sense, since we have a
shared library, and the tapes are scratched and then reused by other TSM
instances.  Well, the given instance's point of view on how many times a
tape has been mounted is only since the last time it was grabbed it from
the scratch pool; it doesn't know about any of the times times the other
instances have used it.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Phone: 314-364-3150