ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Directories Management Class

2008-06-04 12:50:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Directories Management Class
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:49:02 -0500
Lepre, James wrote:
Everyone,

 I am a little confused.  How would I setup management classes for both
Directories and Files?  I came across a problem awhile back where the
Client GUI did not show the directory structure and I was told by IBM
support that the directory structure had expired, and that I needed a
management class for the directories as well.  Can anyone give me a hand
with this?

We have a DIRS management class that is specified using the DIRMC option
in our server-side client option set. We have the retention for DIRS set
to a week longer than our longest retention for files, and also have it
set to go to a small disk-only primary storage pool so that it never
gets migrated to tape. We still do backup to tape for offsite backups.
You should note that in most cases the directory will only be stored in
the database, but it still gets stored with the retention you specify in
the directory management class. I think the database can store up to 256
bytes of data per directory, and the only time I've gone over that is
when there's extended data (ACLs, selinux bindings, etc.).

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354