ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VMware and TSM Backup - Survey

2008-05-30 12:09:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VMware and TSM Backup - Survey
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:08:33 -0600
No, I'm not looking for customers.  I don't do that, but you know
that...

So far, most folks are using TSM clients within the VMs.  With the
recent V5.5 extensions, one can now use the VMware Consolidated Backup
(VCB) on a proxy server and backup the virtual machines directly to TSM.
Lots of functionality there but one must script it to make it useful.
Tricky, too, if there are lots of ESX Servers and lots of proxy servers.
I expect, though, that TSM engineering will be on this...

The issue always becomes how to restore in the event of the big or
little disaster.  For some VM instances, the TSM client within the VM
method works great.  For some other VMs, perhaps not.  I believe that a
mix of the backup options probably makes sense...

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive