ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Decommissioned Servers

2008-05-22 10:28:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Decommissioned Servers
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:27:02 -0700
Wimprine, Thomas wrote:
I have a system(s) that have been turned off never to return. I need to set the
backup data that was on them to inactive. Does anyone know how to make this
happen?  I looked on infocenter and couldn't find anything relevant, am I blind
or it just isn't there?

We've approached this problem in two ways. One is to mark all the data
inactive before decommissioning the client. We do this by putting
"exclude /.../*" in the system options file, and then running a full
incremental backup.

Sometimes we forget to do this, so we use our monitoring system to
remind us to remove the files after their retention period is up. We've
setup our monitoring system to alert us if any filespaces haven't been
backed up in a certain number of days. By default this is one day, but
we can define tolerances on a per filespace basis. We set the tolerance
on those filespaces to be equal to the longest retention period for
files on that filespace, and will delete the filespaces when we get the
email.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354