ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] File ownership not restored (Linux)

2008-05-06 09:39:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] File ownership not restored (Linux)
From: Aree Hagopian <areeha AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 23:34:46 +1000
Just to confirm that I understood correctly, with a Unix system, if a files
permission is changed, then backed up, TSM is unable to the restore the
files with the previous permissions. It will only restore the files with
the latest backup permissions?

Is this also the case in other OS's like Netware? or just Unix based (AIX,
HP, Linux, Solais...)

thanks

Regards,
Aree Hagopian

             Richard Sims
             <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: [ADSM-L] File ownership not
                                       restored (Linux)
             06/05/2008 09:00
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

On May 6, 2008, at 5:24 AM, Aree Hagopian wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm performing a restore and find that the file ownerships are not
> restored
> correctly.
> Someone chown'ed all the files recursively yesterday so I want to
> restore
> to a new location and used the restored files to recover the correct
> ownerships. ...

You've just come upon a shortcoming of the product, where you can't
achieve what you might think would be possible.

Only if file attributes are stored with each instance of a backup
would it be possible to restore the attributes to some point in time.
That is possible in Windows backups, and where Unix ACLs are employed,
such that the info is written to a storage pool; but not with ordinary
Unix files, where there is a single, latest instance of those values,
in the TSM database.  This is a trade-off, where Unix backups and
restorals can be much faster than Windows, but at the price of not
being able to go back in time for the attributes.

    Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs/