ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM client schedules fail because of reverse resolves

2008-05-05 11:56:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM client schedules fail because of reverse resolves
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 10:55:19 -0500
This is fairly easy to fix, and prevent, however, I agree that it's a
pain.  It's a security thing I think.
What you have to do is perform a small backup after the DNS entries are
fully switched over.  Also make sure that once the IP address / domain
name are changed that you delete the old one so TSM doesn't get
confused.

We've done our share of DNS / Network IP address scheme changes to see
this problem once in a while.

See Ya'
Howard

In
> this case, a reverse resolve on the cached IP address yields:
>
> sprg-tsm1_root# nslookup 10.126.33.164
> Server:  stl-pdcp001.smrcy.com
> Address:  10.2.215.158
>
> Name:    sprg-vnacert.sprg.mercy.net
> Address:  10.126.33.164
>
> sprg-tsm1_root#
>
> Note that the domain name is different.  But if I try to forward
lookup
> the name it works correctly:
>
> sprg-tsm1_root# nslookup sprg-vnacert.smrcy.com
> Server:  stl-pdcp001.smrcy.com
> Address:  10.2.215.158
>
> Name:    sprg-vnacert.smrcy.com
> Address:  10.126.33.164
>
> sprg-tsm1_root#
>
> So what if the reverse look up doesn't work?  TSM has the IP address,
> and that is what it needs to reach the client, isn't it?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> John D. Schneider
> Lead Systems Administrator - Storage
> Sisters of Mercy Health Systems
> Email:  John.Schneider AT Mercy DOT net
>
> This e-mail contains information which (a) may be PROPRIETARY IN
NATURE