ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Windows MS Cluster TSM Client upgrade

2008-05-03 19:12:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Windows MS Cluster TSM Client upgrade
From: Robin Lowe <robin.lowe AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 00:11:22 +0100
Hi Timothy

I have recently upgraded TSM in an MSCS environment at my client site, from
5.2.3.11 to 5.4.1.2, fairly successfully.
Not sure what the prescribed method is, but here is how the upgrade was
achieved.

Environment:
TSM AIX Server 5.4.0.1
TSM Windows Client 5.2.3.11 -> 5.4.1.2
4 Node MSCS Clusters (9 Clusters in total)
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server SP1
11 x Virtual Servers per cluster.
Using DFSROOT, so an R: and Q: (Quorum) drive.
Also using Mount Points for external ESS800 Disks, presented via SAN Volume
Controller (SVC).
Cluster Generic Resources for each Group:
TSM Client Acceptor
TSM Scheduler

Upgrade process used:
1. Move all resources off of Node1
2. Upgrade TSM client on Node1
3. At this point we had to update the Registry Replication Key for each TSM
Generic Resource as from 5.4.0.0 the key format changed from:
\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\BackupClient\Nodes\<nodename>\< TSM
Server Name>
New Key is:
\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes\<nodename>\< TSM Server Name>
4. Moved resources back onto Node1. At this point the TSM Scheduler service
began to misbehave, issuing error messages ANS2050E.
(See http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21243061)
To resolve this, all we had to do was to establish a session with the TSM
Server (eg: dsmc -optfile=f:\tsm\dsm.opt) and re-enter the UserID and TSM
Client password, this seemed to do the trick in most instances (see later).
5. Upgrade Node2.
6. Move Resources back to Node2.
7. Move resources from Node3, upgrade Node3.
8. Move resources from Node4, upgrade Node4.
9. Then we executed actions for the ANS2050E. (The pattern seemed to be that
the ANS2050E mainly occurred the first time resources were moved onto the
Node with the newly upgraded TSM Client)
10. Moved each resource onto each Node in turn. This was to check that we
had the password preserved okay in the registry. Sometimes there were no
problems, but sometimes we had to re-enter the TSM Userid and Client
Password.
11. Finally, as mentioned earlier in step 4, we had one TSM client where we
had to follow the recommendations in the Tech Note 1243061 to the letter.

Finally, as we had upgraded to 5.4.2.1, we hit the ANS1009W RC=13 error, and
had to update the registry key for DRM FilesNotToBackup as per the
following:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=ans1009w%2
0&uid=swg21243837&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Hope this helps.

Robin Lowe
Storage Consultant