ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How long should we keep volhist?

2008-04-29 11:23:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How long should we keep volhist?
From: Mark Wheeler <mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:09:43 -0500
One can also specify the location(s) of the volhist files in dsmserv.opt,
for example, I have it write to files in two different filesystems:
*  =====================================================================
*
*   VOLUMEHISTORY
*
*   ********************************************************************
*    VOLUMEHistory <filename>
*
*   Specifies the name of a file that should contain sequential
*   volume history information when it is changed by the server.
*   Sequential volume history information is used by the administrator
*   and server processes during server database recovery.
*
*   More than one of these parameters may be specified to record
*   sequential volume history information to multiple files
*
*   Syntax
*   +------------------+----------------------------------------------+
*   | VOLUMEHistory    | filename                                     |
*   +------------------+----------------------------------------------+
*
*   Parameters
*                        filename - a fully-qualified file name
*                                   to which the server is to automatically
*                                   record volume history information
*                                   when it changes
*  =====================================================================
   VOLUMEHistory /opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/volume.history
   VOLUMEHistory /etc/tsm/server/volume.history

Mark L. Wheeler
IT Infrastructure, 3M Center B224-4N-20, St Paul MN 55144
Tel:  (651) 733-4355, Fax:  (651) 736-7689
mlwheeler at mmm.com
--
"I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show
compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will

             Remco Post
             <r.post AT plcs DOT nl>
             [email protected]         "ADSM AT pipc.pipsworld DOT
nl"@mailer390.
             ARIST.EDU                 marist.edu:Dist Stor Manager
                                       <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
                                                                        cc
             04/29/2008 09:58
                                       Re: [ADSM-L] How long should we
                                       keep volhist?

Allen S. Rout wrote:
>>> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:20:48 +0200, Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL> said:
>
>> Been there done that, you are right. Now, explain, why do we need a
>> backup volhist command then?
>
> Like the appendix on our large intestine.  Vestigial?
>
> Someone suggested "Well, now we write those every time something
> changes, let's remove the BACKUP VOLHIST command", and someone else at
> IBM had a spasm, thinking of all the admins with BACK VOLHIST in their
> schedules all failing, all calling support...

failing or just reporting 'obsolete' in the actlog? Anyway, It does have
it's use with the file= option.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS