ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes

2008-04-29 10:16:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:13:36 -0400
On Apr 29, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Laughlin, Lisa wrote:

Hi Richard!

How does your shop deal with departmental server admins-- do they
have any access to the TSM server?  If they do, do you allow them
to use their own ids for backup and restore, ISC/Admin Center, TSM
Operational Reports,  SQL queries, etc.?

Lisa -

The administrators of our TSM clients incidentally do have access to
the TSM server, by virtue of the admin instance created along with
REGister Node, but seldom use that, being content to simply deal with
normal client administration.  They are well-behaved, and utilize B/R
for legitimate file systems.  We don't use ISC or TSMOR "middleware":
we're an IT shop with a history of writing most of the software in
use, and so use dsmadmc for administration and parse logs and
accounting records for true views of TSM activity.  We don't use GUIs
unless we absolutely have to, given that they can hide and distort
underlying reality - and have a history of reliability and
performance problems.  (As Andy says, "The command line is your
friend.")

If a TSM (or any other type of) server is well configured,
administered, and monitored, with good periodic reports to clients,
there will be little or no need for server access by client
administrators, and everyone will be happy.  I can see from your
experience that it's not always like that, unfortunately.

   Richard Sims