ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes

2008-04-29 09:45:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM server scaling/sizing for lots (>20000) nodes
From: "Laughlin, Lisa" <Lisa.Laughlin AT DOR.MO DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:43:29 -0500
Hi Richard!

How does your shop deal with departmental server admins-- do they have any
access to the TSM server?  If they do, do you allow them to use their own ids
for backup and restore, ISC/Admin Center, TSM Operational Reports,  SQL
queries, etc.?

I used to be on the other side of the TSM "fence." I adminned the TSM servers &
the clients (TSM-wise); but I have changed jobs and state agencies.  Now part
of my duties are adminning TSM clients, but I have NO access to the TSM server.
 I have to submit a trouble ticket to obtain information about standard
management classes, enhancements to client backup reports (from TOR) and node
queries (among other things).

I have been to other public sites for users on TSM (off the top of my head-- U
Florida; Berkeley; Oxford; BU) where policies, standards, client code, option
sets, charges--- information, simply, is given to the TSM user community.

I have requested a "view-only" admin id and/or a policy-limited id-- No go.
Some of my "trouble tickets" are still open/suspended.

How DO most TSM shops run their service for the TSM client admins that are not
TSM server admins?  When I was a TSM admin, I was THRILLED if one of the client
admins even took an interest in whether backups were failing, so this cold
shoulder is frustrating.

If others are willing to share their experiences, please chime in!!

thanks!
lisa