ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Retain All Existing TSM Backup / Archive Data for 10Yrs

2008-04-28 15:14:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Retain All Existing TSM Backup / Archive Data for 10Yrs
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:13:13 -0400
Not necessary.

You can't rebind a file that has been archived to a different management
class, but if you change the RULE the file is bound to (i.e., the archive
copy group retention setting), that change does indeed take effect, and will
do what you ask.

That said, here's my plug for content management:

Will anybody be able to FIND anything in these archives 10 years from now?
With TSM archiving, all you have to look at is file names.  If your mgmt
wants to be able to locate any INFORMATION 10 years from now, some sort of
content management application is usually more appropriate.  You get some
indexing and some organization and some search capabilities for the data,
not just the host name and filenames for client nodes that no longer
exist...