ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite tapes not being brought back.

2008-04-28 10:36:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite tapes not being brought back.
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:34:00 -0500
A copy pool works differently than a primary pool in this regard.  In a
primary pool, if the volume is "filling" it will not show up in
reclamation queries, in a copy pool it will.  However you have to
remember that in reclamation it's not the percent used, or valid that
matters it's the percent reclaimable.  What this means is that if the
tape is in a copypool, and is "filling" but only has a utilization of
30% TSM understands that its "70%" reclaimable once its offsite.  If you
set reclamation to 30% you'll get everything that's at that level and
higher, meaning all that are 40%, 50%, 60%, etc. etc.
The lower you set that number the MORE tapes you'll have to reclaim, and
reclaiming an offsite pool is not like an onsite pool at all.

In an offsite pool the reclamation process can do things differently
depending on your version of TSM.  In 5.3 and newer you set the reclaim
level at 100%, and then run the "reclaim stg" command with a threshold
option.  In 5.2 and older you have to adjust the reclamation level on
the stg pool.  Either way it starts by gathering a list of tapes that
are at that level and above, and begins working on all of them at once.
Which means it may get 1% of every tape instead of working on the first,
then second, then third like a primary pool.  Now, if you use the
reclaim stg command you can set a limit on the number of tapes it
processes, and the time.   However, if you have a lot of tapes what you
want to do is set your reclaim threshold higher and allow TSM to reclaim
those, and then work your way down to the level you want.  (we set ours
to 60%).

I imagine you'll see a lot of tapes in the query below at near 100% due
to the fact that it has so many tapes to process every time reclamation
is run that it never finishes reclaiming any of them.  So, start by
setting reclamation to say 90 to start with, then work down until you
get to a comfortable level.

Here's a query that I run on one of our pools:
select volume_name as CP_LTO3_VOL,est_capacity_mb as
CAPACITY,pct_utilized as UTILIZATION,pct_reclaim as RECLAIMABLE from
volumes where stgpool_name='YOURPOOLNAME' and pct_reclaim>=$1 order by
pct_reclaim desc

Replace $1 with the percentage level you're looking for.  For example,
select volume_name as CP_LTO3_VOL,est_capacity_mb as
CAPACITY,pct_utilized as UTILIZATION,pct_reclaim as RECLAIMABLE from
volumes where stgpool_name='YOURPOOLNAME' and pct_reclaim>=60 order by
pct_reclaim desc

You'll get out put similar to this:

tsm: TSM1>select volume_name as CP_LTO3_VOL,est_capacity_mb as
CAPACITY,pct_util
ized as UTILIZATION,pct_reclaim as RECLAIMABLE from volumes where
stgpool_name='
COPYPOOL-LTO3' and pct_reclaim>=60 order by pct_reclaim desc

CP_LTO3_VOL                        CAPACITY     UTILIZATION
RECLAIMABLE
------------------     --------------------     -----------
-----------
A00237L3                           819200.0             0.5
99.4
A00321L3                           819200.0             0.6
99.3
A00000L3                           819200.0             8.0
91.9
A00324L3                           819200.0            10.0
89.9
A00245L3                           769166.2            10.9
89.2
A00207L3                           813060.9            10.9
89.0
A00075L3                           816712.8            13.1
86.8
A00247L3                           819200.0            13.4
86.5
A00257L3                           731022.8            15.1
85.0
A00123L3                           819200.0            15.5
84.4
A00099L3                           819200.0            16.1
83.8
A00250L3                           818835.2            16.4
83.6
A00034L3                           910177.3            37.7
62.4

See Ya'
Howard