ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM being abandoned?

2008-04-20 07:34:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM being abandoned?
From: Francisco Molero <fmolero AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 04:32:47 -0700
Hello colleagues,

TSM being abandoned ?

I don't know but IBM 6.1 will have much more functionality than previous
versions. IBM has bought two companies FilesX and Diligent . FilesX will be add
to TSM in Windows environments, and Diligent improves the dedup technologies.

First question : deduplication is very interesting for all backup software, but
TSM has more necessities than dedup although in version 6.1 will be available.
TSM doesn't need to backup the whole environment each weekend then dedup is
more important for other backup sw.

Second question : DB2 or TSM db, I am not an expert in DBs, but I think we will
have better availability, performance with DB2. We will run an audit db
online, and HADR will be available with DB2 ( I hope ). Nowadays I have several
customers with DB size around 200 GBytes, this is a problem, I suppose DB2 can
manage this TSM dbs better than TSM DB.

Fourth question :  In my opinion VTLs provide not too much possibilities, in
general VTLs aren't matures but it is ideal for lanfree backup. I don't like
too much VTL can manage all volumes, I prefer TSM does that. TSM is working for
many years and more or less works properly. But all VTL vendors want to sell a
new solution, in many cases VTL is appliance with very high cost.

Regards,

    Fran