ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Atape/atldd support - place a hdwr call

2008-04-17 13:58:02
Subject: [ADSM-L] Atape/atldd support - place a hdwr call
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:56:38 -0400
This might seem really dumb/stupid, but I figured
I'd share it so someone else might doesn't make the same mistake.

We have 2 TSM dedicated library manager instances.  These
currently run on servers with other TSM instances.  We
are setting up new servers (tiny lpars) to provide dedicated
servers to run the dedicated library managers.  This is to allow
upgrading the library managers independently from
other tsm instances.

Since we have 3494 and 3584 libraries, I installed Atape
and atldd.  I did the work to setup access to the 3494
library:  edit ibmatl.conf, start lmcpd, create lmcp0,
then configure lmcp0 (change from Defined to Available).
his last step FAILED.

When I ran the configure for lmcp0, I received the following msg:

    0514-519 The following device was not found in the customized
             device configuration database:
             name=' '

VERY STRANGE . . .(my new favorite saying this week).  Nothing
I did could get lmcp0 to become available.

This turned out to be a firewall problem.  Our storage equipment
(switches, arrays, libraries, etc) are behind a firewall and the
TSM servers are on the normal network.  Once the firewall was
configured correctly lmcp0 configured just fine.

BUT THAT'S NOT MY POINT . . .

Googling and searching IBM's web site returned no help for
the above message, so I opened a case with TSM SUPPORT.  This
was the first case I ever opened for Atape/atldd.  I received
back a reply that we DID NOT HAVE SUPPORT for Atape/atldd and
that I should fax them proof that we had this.  Now I'm really
confused!  I got our contracts person involved, who got the
local IBM people involved, which got an answer:  SUPPORT CALLS
FOR Atape/atldd should be placed AS HARDWARE CALLS ON THE 3494.
BUT, since we have not purchased Support Line (how-to question
support for Atape/atldd), I may not have received help anyway
since this could be interpreted as a "how to configure Atape/atldd"
question.

Lesson Learned:  For Atape/atldd problems, open a HARDWARE case
                 for the library/drive.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.