ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Drive Encryption (3592)

2008-04-15 07:41:45
Subject: [ADSM-L] Drive Encryption (3592)
From: "Herrmann, Boris" <Boris.Herrmann AT ARAG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:40:32 +0200
Hello,
again, I've a question regarding drive encryption. Our environment:

TSM Server 5.4.1.2 (AIX 5.3)
TS3500 tape library with 3592 Drives

In the next time, our old 3592 Drives will be replaced with newer one
(3592) which have the hardware drive encryption capability.
Our plan is to use the encryption only for our COPYSTORAGE POOLS , TSM
DB BACKUPS and EXPORTS (using "library encryption" method).

We want to create two DEVCLASSES: DEV3592 and DEV3592_ENC

If I understand the option DRIVEEncryption correctly it is not possible
to use both (TAPEPOOL without encryption) and (COPYPOOL with encryption)
because either one will fail with "library method"?. If we use ALLOW for
DEV3592_ENC => encryption will work (for our COPYPOOLS). But when we use
OFF for our DEV3592 (TAPEPOOL) => backup will fail with method Library
Encryption? So how is it possible to use both?

Any help or tips are appreciated.

With kind regards,
Boris