ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Image Backup/Incr Backup Problem

2008-04-14 07:39:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Image Backup/Incr Backup Problem
From: Jeff White <Jeff.White AT WOOLWORTHS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:36:25 +0100
Hi

TSM SERVER v5.4.0 running on Windows 2003

TSM Client v5.4.0.2

I run a daily incremental backup of a filesystem and writes to a 1tb
disk pool.

The Filesystem is 2tb, the occupied space is 1..45tb. The Incremental BU
inspects c9m files and backs up approc 7gb.

This has ran successfully for some time now, but takes a long time to
run (the delay is at the inspection side).

So, i tried LVSA Snapshot Image backup as a test.

I created and activated a new management class called TAPEONLY. I then
updated the DSM.OPT file to say 'include.image e:\ tapeonly' to write
directly to tape (LTO3). Runs fine. I can see the tape mounts etc and
took 7 hrs to backup.

Now, having completed my test, when i have gone back to my normal incr
backups, i get message 'ANS1114I waiting for mount of offline media' - a
'query session' shows a tape mount. But i am not using the include/image
statement any longer (it is commented out of the DSM.OPT file) and it
should be going to disk pool, as it always has done.

I have read that if the server thinks the image to be backed up is
larger than the target storage pool, it will go to that storage pools'
next stgpool. In this case, i am wondering if the TSM server now expects
1.45tb (the LVSA Image size) but the disk_pool is only 1tb. Next stgpool
is the tape_pool, hence the ANS1114I message.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

Woolworths plc
Registered Office: 242 Marylebone Road, London NW1 6JL
Registered in England, Number 104206

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes,  or
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your co-operation.
Email scanned for viruses and unwanted content by emailsystems

Information regarding this service can be found at www.emailsystems.com