ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] multiple tapes being detected as WRITE PROTECTED in SL500 library

2008-04-03 09:04:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] multiple tapes being detected as WRITE PROTECTED in SL500 library
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:03:02 -0400
Thanks for the replies. We currently have encryption turned off and have
never turned it on. The errors we are getting appear to always be the same
drive. Sun/STK replaced the drive the first time when we were consistently
getting MEDIA FAULT errors and now after replacing we are consistently
getting errors where the tapes are detected are WRITE PROTECTED even though
they are not. My guess is that the drive they replaced the first one with
is also defective somehow.
The code level on all four of the IBM Ultrium LTO4 drives is 7381.
The firmware version of the SL500 library is 1201 (6.23.50)
John

-We are having a similar problem, with LTO4's in a Scalar500 - scratch
tapes
-were failing to complete any mounting process then going into a Private
status
-'to prevent re-access' as per ANR8778W.

-The problems started when we had two devclasses for LTO, one with
-DRIVEncryption set to ON (LTO_ENCRYPT), and the other NO (LTO). Since
changing
-the LTO devclass to Allow, checking the tapes out and labelling then in
again
-with a checkin of 'Scratch' seems to alleviated the ongoing status change.
We
-are still getting the i/o errors on the volumes reporting KEY=7 (write
protect)
-but the usual 'i/o error reading label', '<vol> could not be mounted' and
-'scratch vol changed to Private to prevent re-access' have gone.

-Have you been fiddling with Drive Encrypted device classes?

-------
-Matthew Large
-TSM Consultant

-Have you  checked that your microcode levels are up-to-date ¿?

-Regards,
-Bernaldo