ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ***SPAM*** [ADSM-L] AIX/Linux Lpar, Vio Server and Lanfree

2008-03-28 22:21:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ***SPAM*** [ADSM-L] AIX/Linux Lpar, Vio Server and Lanfree
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:20:39 +1100
Francisco,

How about installing a small TSM Server on one of your LPARs.  It would be
a library management client to your main TSM server and back up itself and
the other LPARs across the virtual ethernet.  The only local disk you would
need is the TSM DB and log,  backups could go straight to tape just as if
it was a storage agent..

HTH

Steve

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Sydney Australia

             Remco Post
             <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: [ADSM-L] ***SPAM*** [ADSM-L]
                                       AIX/Linux Lpar, Vio Server and
             29/03/2008 04:15          Lanfree
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Francisco Molero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We want to create several partitions controller by AIX/Linux Vio
> Server.  I am interesting in run lanfree backups and I am looking
> info about that.
>
> Questions:
>
> If  I want to run lan free backup over a Lpar controlled by Vio
> Server, need  I to define a dedicated HBA for this LPar ?
>
> Can I share a Hba for two Lpars and run lanfree, is it supported ?

as far as I know, not. VIO servers can only emulate/share disks, not
tapedevices. so you'll need dedicated HBAs for the LPARs that require
tape access.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post