ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] q occ vs q fi

2008-03-26 18:08:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] q occ vs q fi
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:07:40 -0400
On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought active files would never
expire. So unless I've misunderstood this from the get go I am at a
loss to understand how the active files could be gone. The nodes
have moved backups to a different TSM server so I can understand
expiration of inactive files. Is there something I've been missing
all these years?

Consider what a possibly erroneous and "thorough" Exclude can do
during a backup; and there are the Expire and Delete Backup client
commands.  And its' easy to rename a volume/file system, create
another of the original name, and then do 'dsmc i' on it, whereafter
everything becomes Inactive.  A minimized retentions policy can also
get rid of stuff quickly, as can a bad system clock value.

The answer can best be found in the details of historic client backup
logs, or the ANE records in the server Activity Log.  We who look on
can only speculate.

   Richard Sims