ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM for a Disaster

2008-03-25 08:22:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM for a Disaster
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:19:33 -0400
Hello everyone!

I have the TSM database, recovery log, volume history, device
configuration and drm plan replicated to our disaster recovery site.  The
TSM server is an AIX 5.3 server with TSM at 5.3.5.2.  At our test drill I
tried to bring up TSM without restoring it from a database backup and it
worked fine.  The only caveat was that I had to remove the library and
path definitions to our ACSLS external library and our CDL library
information from the device configuration file so that it looked as
follows (We use a manual library & manual drives since we only use TSM to
restore 2 servers now at disaster recovery.  By next year I hope to not
need TSM at all.):

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS DBB DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C ESTCAPACITY=209715200K
MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=1 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=SL8500
WORM=NO DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE DEVCLASS DBBFILE DEVTYPE=FILE FORMAT=DRIVE MAXCAPACITY=66060288K
MOUNTLIMIT=1 DIRECTORY=/tsmprod/db1backup SHARED=NO
DEFINE DEVCLASS DR_LTO2 DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C
ESTCAPACITY=209715200K MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=5
PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=DRLIB WORM=NO DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO2 DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C ESTCAPACITY=209715200K
MOUNTLIMIT=24 MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=1 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=SL8500
WORM=NO DRIVE ENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO2_CDLA DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=CDLA_PROD WORM=NO
DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO2_CDLB DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=CDLB_PROD WORM=NO
DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO2_OFFSITE DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C
ESTCAPACITY=209715200K MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=1
PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=DRLIB WORM=NO DRIVEENCRYPTION=ALLOW
DEFINE SERVER TSMPROD COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=157.154.47.18
LLADDRESS=1500  SERVERPASSWORD=**********************************
SET SERVERNAME TSMPROD
SET SERVERPASSWORD ****************************************
DEFINE LIBRARY DRLIB LIBTYPE=MANUAL
DEFINE DRIVE DRLIB LTO1
DEFINE PATH TSMPROD LTO1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=DRLIB
DEVICE=/dev/rmt0

I then followed the regular steps of the DRM plan
Set DSMSERV_CONFIG
Set DSMSERV_DIR
Do not need to create, format and then initialize the database and log
volumes
Do not need to restore the server database from a database backup
Start the server.
Update the LTO2_OFFSITE device class so that it points to the drlib manual
library.
Define the remaining drives & paths.
Register the licenses by running the LICENSE.REGISTRATION script created
by the DRM plan.
Update copy storage pool volumes so that they are ready for use by running
the COPYSTGPOOL.VOLUMES.AVAILABLE script created by the DRM plan.
Mark volumes destroyed in copy storage pools that didn't make it offsite
to the vault by running COPYSTGPOOL.VOLUMES.DESTROYED script created by
the DRM plan.
Mark primary storage pool volumes as destroyed by running
PRIMARY.VOLUMES.DESTROYED script created by the DRM plan.

I'm just wondering if it's ok to do it this way and remove all of that
information from the device configuration file such as the regular library
definitions, drives, paths, etc. and still have this work?

If anyone has any comments please let me know.  Thanks!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com