ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 performance issues

2008-03-21 14:40:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 performance issues
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:38:59 +0100
Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM wrote:
Hi Remco!
What if you cannot restore a file? IBM will tell you to upgrade the
client to a supported level, which you will do. Now you still cannot
restore the file. Now IBM will tell you, well, the file was backed up
with an unsupported client version. Bad luck...

so you backup a file today with a supported 5.3 client... May 1st you'll
need to restore that file with a supported 5.4 client, and you fail,
will IBM hang you out to dry? Not more or less than when you upgrade
after May 1st, I'm willing to bet. Be ware, we're talking clients here,
not servers!

And also, most companies don't allow (and should not allow) using
unsupported software usage in a production environment. I would not be
surprised if using supported software levels is a requirement to be SOx
compliant.

That's up to a company and a person in charge to decide which of two
evils is the lesser. Currently, I'd advise my customers not to upgrade
the clients. I've had one (in my previous job) who suffered big time on
Netware for this problem (incrementals running for over a week, couldn't
downgrade due to other bugs in previous levels). I'd rather have good
backups with an unsupported level than no backups with a supported level.

See you April 3rd at the tsmgg meeting.

Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines