ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 5.4 Performance Issue temporary resolution...

2008-03-19 13:59:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.4 Performance Issue temporary resolution...
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:57:31 -0400
Regarding, the TSM 5.4 and 5.5 performance issue for UNIX.

>From my own debugging and reading on new TSM options for 5.4, I believed it
had to do with the new 'memoryefficient diskcachemethod'
option.

When you set that option, the performance issues for me are resolved using
TSM for Solaris 5.4 and 5.5.

So, give that a try if you can't downgrade to TSM 5.3

      memoryefficient diskcachemethod

Of course, now TSM would use disk space to instead of memory, but it at
least backups are performing better again.
With servers with larger disks,  you have to set, diskcachelocation from
the default, to whatever disk has 2 GB free for every 1 million files.

With Solaris, as long as you have enough free memory and swaps pace, you
can set it to /tmp which is swap + memory..  works out well..

I found it a bit frustrating as I had not had very much luck in getting
them to look further into this issue much since I reported it.
They wanted me to run with the traceflag's that created a 100 GB trace file
that took many days and never finished, I was supposed to upload?

Give me a break, they have to have a lab or something, since the problem is
so easy to repeat.  Come on IBM step up...

Matthew Glanville
www.kodak.com